First Draft

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Learn Something New Every Day?

Well, I did some research on ideas for classes to take, and I found out something. If you don’t have at least some money that you’re willing to put into it, there aren’t a lot of options out there. I guess I expected that, and honestly that’s a good thing. People willing and able to teach should certainly be paid fairly. But since I’m not willing to make much of a monetary commitment at the moment, I decided to explore this learning impulse a little further to see if there are other alternatives.

Is it an intellectual boredom? Or a need to feel creative? Is it a process of learning that I want to be a part of? Or do I want some result, some finished product or demonstrable skill?

I’m not sure. If I want to learn for the sake of learning, what’s stopping me from going to the library and picking up a book on a new subject and just delving in? I think it’s the fact that when there’s a person instructing me and a group that I’m part of, there’s a certain commitment and group involvement that changes the way I learn and understand things. Or perhaps I’m just not all that motivated (nice way of saying I can be kinda lazy).

If it’s a need to create in a new way, I don’t necessarily have to have a class for that. I can explore new ideas of creative outlets all on my own—with maybe just a little help from ye olde internet or library for instruction/inspiration. But I really think it’s more of an intellectual desire as opposed to a more creative desire. Not that creativity doesn’t require intellect! But I think I want something more objective.

I don’t really have a conclusion here. I’m just thinking in type.

2 Comments:

  • Aw, that sucks.

    I got a letter from Vandy that their Blair school of music performances this year are all free to the public. It's not a class, but it's freeeee! :)

    By Blogger Sarah W., at 9/14/2006 12:23 AM  

  • I read that in Mrs. Cheap's column today. It's definitely on my list. I like stuff like a lot--just usually can't afford it!

    By Blogger Katie, at 9/14/2006 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home