First Draft

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Still Life with Coca-Cola

Let's discuss my addiction. So, I like a good, old-fashioned Coca-Cola Classic. A lot. There's something about that first sip--it tastes so good, it gives me an instant little rush, and it just downright makes me happy. I've had some good reasons to quit drinking this sugary delight.

Reason 1: The Sugar. Seriously, it contains so much totally-not-good-for-you sugar. My junior year of high school my chemistry teacher did an experiment to show us how much sugar is in one can of coke. She poured the sugar equivalent into a container, and its volume almost equaled that of the entire coke. It was awful and disgusting. I washed the experience away with a nice full can of Coca-Cola.







Reason 2: The Random Things Floating in It. Yep, I had “an experience.” If you enjoy the cokes and would maybe like to continue enjoying them I will warn that you may wish to skip to the next paragraph. Just sayin'. So one day in college I was about three-fourths of the way through a can of coke when I took one big sip--and discovered something solid yet slightly slimy IN MY MOUTH. I spit it out and found something pink and cylindrical that I can only describe as larvae-ish. I was disgusted. For weeks, maybe months, I dealt with the experience by pouring all cokes into a glass before drinking. Yep, washed that one down with a nice full glass of Coca-Cola.

I've quit at various times for varying lengths of time, but I always come back.
Right now I've given up cokes. Except when I want one. I've decided that cutting back a lot is good enough. I don't have one every day at least. Yet, I always find ways to justify pieces of my addiction. My reasonings for indulgence are many. I've had a long day. I need a little pick-me-up. I have a headache. Coke just goes with pizza. It's Friday. Whatever.


So I'm finally doing my laundry today. Think I'll reward myself with a nice tall glass of Coca-Cola.

1 Comments:

  • YOU'RE HILARIOUS! DOING REAL GOOD WITH THAT COKE ADDICTION HUH??? HEEHEE.....
    I AM JUST GETTING INTO MYSPACE AND IT LEAD ME TO JOHNNY, THEN HERE....AND IT'S GOOD TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOU GUYS. HOPE ALL IS WELL IN NASHVILLE! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

    JESSICA MAC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/07/2006 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home