First Draft

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Smoky Mountain Start

I feel like this should be a big, impressive post, but every time I start I feel like I'm not quite up to the task. So I think I'll take some pressure off myself and just go with whatever comes to me.

This weekend Chris and I hiked to the top of a mountain, and he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. And I said yes! It was beautiful up there. The clouds would move out and give a great view, and then the clouds would settle back and envelope us, and it would feel like the rest of the world just didn't exist. It was an amazig proposal, and we're so excited about getting married. And I for one am still a little overwelmed! But in a good way :)

The cabin we stayed in was also a great backdrop for the weekend. It had a hot tub and grill on the deck, and the views were really amazing. There was definitely a sense of peace to the place. When we got back to the cabin after our hike, we took advantage of that fact that our cellphones' service was spotty at best and decided not to call anyone with the news just yet. Instead we talked about the marriage things. We didn't talk about the wedding things or setting a date. Just being married. The rest is all coming along in its time!

A funny sidenote: About ten or fifteen minutes after he proposed we started down the mountain and my cellphone buzzed, the alert that means I have a reminder on my calendar. Chris pulled it out of my backpack, and it read "Remember Chris Johnston." Chris's birthday was yesterday, and everyone's birthdays are set to remind me a few days ahead of time. So, yes indeed, I remembered Chris Johnston!

Here are a few photos of the trip.

Knitting Accomplished: Super-long ribbed scarf done; one sock done, one to go; almost nothing on the stole (it requires concentration--and I didn't have a whole lot of that going on!)

9 Comments:

  • Yeah! I get to be the first one to post Congratulations on your blog!! I am so excited for you. I think you two make a great couple. Welcome to the family Chris!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2006 9:42 PM  

  • We are so excited for you! I can't believe you got that much knitting done when you were still so excited! Can't wait to see you and Chris. Congradulations

    By Blogger Natasha Provost Burris, at 9/20/2006 10:07 PM  

  • Woohoo! the husband and wife combo being the first to say "Congrats!" to the two who will soon be a husband and wife combo. Congrats Katie and Chris.

    Billy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2006 10:08 PM  

  • dang!!! Natasha beat be by one minute while I was typing. lol.

    Billy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2006 10:08 PM  

  • I just teared up reading this.

    By Blogger Jennifer Coomer, at 9/21/2006 10:11 AM  

  • Marriage rocks! Wedding cake and gifts are nice perks as well.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 9/21/2006 4:20 PM  

  • One word: YAY!

    By Blogger Sarah W., at 9/24/2006 2:43 PM  

  • Congratulations!
    At least it's not a rocky mountain start! :)

    God bless you both

    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 9/29/2006 8:32 AM  

  • Hey Katie! Congrats! Tony and I said someone needed to get married so we could go on a vacation! Can't wait to see you again!
    Laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2006 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home