First Draft

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Lowdown: I’ll Post Lots of Information Here

The Excuses: I’ve been busy away from Internet Land lately, and my office is cracking down on computer use, including while on breaks. Hence the lack of posts. But enough of the excuses. . . .

The Stormy Weather: The weather was bad around here on Friday. Chris and I were going out of town for the weekend and had left the area before there was even a drop of rain, but I’ve heard some of the stories today. My friend Daphne (see Eric's blog about her experience here) works at a school that was frightfully close to one of the tornadoes’ path, and I can only imagine how many terrified kids there were in that building. Those affected are certainly in my prayers.

The Weekend: We had such a great visit with my family this weekend, and I met the two newest additions to the family—both precious as can be!

The Knitting Pursuits: I’ve knit something frightfully close to a poncho. Yep, a poncho. I’ve been generally against the poncho from the beginning. I don’t think most of them would look particularly flattering on me (although I do think they are cute on some people—especially young kids), plus I couldn’t quite think of them as practical. What do you do with your arms? How is this better than just grabbing a sweater when you head out the door? What do you do with all these folds of fabric hanging around? But the Glampyre Knits gal designed this garment she dubbed the Paris Loop. And I kind of like it. It’s not so poncho-ish to be unflattering or bulky, but it does seem like a nice spring-time alternative for the cold restaurant scenario. So, I’ve knit one for myself, and I’ve even worn it out and about. And I think I even like it. But I’m not calling it a poncho. It’s my Loop-o. Yeah, I’m still working on the name. . . .

The Books I’m Excited About: Mason-Dixon Knitting is out and the authors are coming to Nashville for a book signing! I’ve seen the book and it has some very fun patterns! I’m even buying it instead of checking it out from the library like I usually do with knitting books. And the initiator of the Knitting Olympics has a new book, Knitting Rules, which is more a book about knitting and knitters, rather than patterns to knit. But she’s a very entertaining writer, and I’m looking forward to that signing too. The Knitters and I are RSVPed for both events. This book-signing concept is relatively new for me. In Franklinton you come across few (okay, zero) book signings, and really until I lived here I didn’t think about the idea of a book “event” all that often. But here they are sort of a big thing, and I find myself getting a little giddy at the thought of having the authors sign the books. Like getting a rock star’s autograph.

And Speaking of Rock Stars: Chris’s band has some new songs up on their myspace profile, myspace.com/sedgewick, and I’m really impressed with what they’re doing. I got to listen in on a jam session of theirs last week, and they sounded great!!! So if you haven’t checked out their site, then go listen in (and if you’re a myspacer, then make them your friend!). My personal favorite is “The Key,” but all the songs rock!

1 Comments:

  • Nice music. Tell Chris I said "rawk".

    That is crazy with the tornado thing eh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2006 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home