First Draft

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Draw Your Navel into Your Spine

But don’t forget to breathe! I’ve been doing a Pilates class at work. I think it’s good for stretching and strengthening your muscles, and I’m beginning to notice a little difference in how I’ve generally been feeling. The class is during our lunch break, and I find I’m a little more productive in the afternoons now, and also less likely to snack on everything in sight while washing it down with a Coca-cola.

But, I admit that I do tend to forget the breathing thing during the class. I recognize that it’s an important, I’d even say crucial, portion of the exercise, as it allows you to remain alive as well as conscious while stretching and strengthening those muscles. But when I’m pulling my belly button into my spine and tweezing my buttocks together and keeping my shoulders down and extending my legs out at a forty-five degree angle, I can’t seem to remember to also, oh, inhale, and then maybe just for fun, exhale. Every time the video instructor says, “Concentrate on breathing evenly.” I think, “Breathing? What breathing? Oh, that’s the light-headed feeling I’m getting! Lack of oxygen. Got it!” Breathe.

5 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you mean! My Ab tape says to "relax" while in plank position and pulling one leg into your chest. By the way, if you like Pilates, Big Lots has Windsor Pilates DVDs and tapes for $2.99 each. I bought 4 different ones, I still haven't opened them but it was a great deal. Maybe one day I will try them out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/11/2006 10:14 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip! I'll have to take a trip to Big Lots this weekend!

    By Blogger Katie, at 5/12/2006 4:03 PM  

  • While I was in college, I was injured during a prank which involved "tweezing buttocks". I guess that means something different now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/12/2006 4:52 PM  

  • That previous comment was from Johnny. (Like I need to specify)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/12/2006 4:53 PM  

  • I have the same problem. It's hard to think about how you're positioned and compare yourself to the video and do the actual moments and hold in your stomach and breathe. I'm hoping with practice it will come more naturally. Also I think the instructor is telling us to breathe more slowly than is possible. But maybe that's just me.

    It's amazing to me how simple the exercises appear and yet they are quite challenging. I feel strong, but inflexible; I really feel this is a good exercise program for me, and I'm glad we're doing it at work again! I recommend it to everyone.

    By Blogger Sarah W., at 5/12/2006 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home